What does it mean for a house or an apartment to truly feel like home?
For you, for me, or any other person, the answer will vary. That’s why you have to figure out what makes you feel cozy and how to recreate the right mood in your property: happy, safe, charming, warm – homey.
Cozy Home, Homey Home
Of course, you alone know what rings your bell the most, but at CompleteHomeSpa.com we have prepared several actionable tips to further inspire and help. Regardless of the tenant or homeowner, there is a long way to reach truly intimate levels.
- Cozy Home, Homey Home
- Bring Calming Scents to Your Home
- Switch To Softer Lighting
- Decorate With Possessions Dear To You
- Bring Nature To Your Home
- Spruce Up Outdoor Areas (If Any)
- Hang Your Favorite Artworks & Memories
- Pimp Your Bedroom, Bed & Linen
- Create Your Own Book Heaven
- Bring Warmth To Your Kitchen
- Invest In A Comfy Couch
- Bring Warmth For Your Feet
- Gather Around The Fireplace
- Your Bathroom Comfort
- Making Home Cozy – Wrap Up
Without further ado, here are tips on how to make a house homey.
Bring Calming Scents to Your Home
Decorating isn’t the only way to make a cozy home. One of the best ways to add the dash of comfort and delight is to treat your sense of smell too.
- Plan desired candlewick sizes and layout to decorate via scented candles;
- Consider making your own massage candles, soy candles, sea candles, or 100% organic candles.
- Select distinct aromas to fit function per room.
- Diffuse essential oils by heating them with a candle or getting a diffuser. Lavender oil will create a more relaxing atmosphere, help with insomnia, or even put toddlers to sleep. On the other hand, vanilla or cinnamon can boost your cheerful mood and make your home more festive. Just mind how much oil you put in your diffuser. Check our inspirational read: 10 Uses of Essential Oils For Your Home (With Recipes!)
- Buy incense sticks instead to send aroma throughout your home.
Switch To Softer Lighting
The secret behind a cozier home is warm lighting.
- Replace any white or blue light bulbs with warm-colored ones. They will bring a softer glow in your home.
- Avoid using smart devices at night since they disperse blue light, which is harsh on the eyes.
- Add extra warmth to lighting with the help of candles or tea lights. They are an essential puzzle piece when you want to create a more intimate atmosphere.
- Consider red light therapy also known as light box therapy, low-level light therapy (LLLT), photobiomodulation (PBM), or photonic stimulation.
- Choose and try your pick from the best Himalayan salt lamps. There are many health benefits to Himalayan salt lamps.
Decorate With Possessions Dear To You
Step aside from mass consumerism and decorate with objects having meaning to you and your home.
- Surround yourself with furniture and decorations that have a story.
- Buy vintage items.
- Display gifts or possessions you’ve bought during your trips.
- Roam the shops for unique finds if you are a fan of antiques.
Bring Nature To Your Home
Fill your house or apartment with natural elements to increase how cozy the place.
- Get more green plants to clean up the air or tackle anxiety;
- Decorate with wood – doors, floors, furniture, picture frames;
- Try shishi odoshi – nothing calms the mind as water does;
- Use other natural materials too – leather, stone, feathers;
- Gather pine cones, flowers or herbs from outside and arrange them in beautiful centerpieces.
Furthermore, there are little things better for healthy aging than growing your own produce. You could plant and care for various herbs and spices, not to mention vegetables and fruits for those who love to garden.
Spruce Up Outdoor Areas (If Any)
How you bring comfort depends on the type of property you live in. Do you live in a house? Does it have outdoor areas? A patio, front, or backyard?
Follow our “20 Tips On How To Create A Relaxing Garden”. If the garden inventory is set, look into the concept of grounding – the simplest rejuvenation trick around.
Do you live in an apartment? Does it have a terrace? Consider laying decking or enhancing it with hanging pots and container gardening.
Hang Your Favorite Artworks & Memories
The best way to bring comfort to your abode is by displaying family photos, paintings, and the artwork you admire, souvenirs, or postcards from memorable trips.
If you are renting the place and can’t drill holes in the walls, frame big photographs or posters and lean them against a bookshelf, a dresser, or a wall.
Also, you could attach a string of fabric between two pieces of furniture and then hang small-print photos, notes or postcards.
Pimp Your Bedroom, Bed & Linen
After all, your bed is the piece of furniture that resonates with your sense of comfort and coziness the most. It has to ensure you get a relaxing bedroom for good sleep every night.
Try these tips to make your bed and bedroom homier:
- Choose cotton, sateen, or linen sheets for summer to keep you cool during the night.
- Opt for a flannel, jersey, or down comforters for the winter months.
- Add a throw blanket or a quilt at the bottom of your bed to have a Plan B for extra frosty nights.
- Invest in a quality mattress and foam pillows that offer exceptional back and neck support.
- Scatter a couple of charming decorative pillows over your bed to include a dash of color in your bedroom.
Create Your Own Book Heaven
A good book and a cup of hot tea sound like the perfect combo for a rainy day. Make the experience even more enjoyable by creating a dedicated reading nook. It might be near a window, a nook or under the stairs.
Place a comfortable chair, put a warm blanket and a pillow on top of it. Add a small table with a reading lamp and coasters. Your favorite books should be within an arm’s length from you.
Now all that is left is to prepare a delicious hot cup of tea.
Bring Warmth To Your Kitchen
The kitchen often becomes a room for family and friends gatherings, especially if a kitchen spa.
Make everyone feel at home by ensuring there’s a comfy sitting area, maybe a vase with flowers on the table, a portable speaker to provide musical accompaniment.
Let colors be your friend. Decorate or repaint the walls or refinish your kitchen cabinets. This will add more charm to the room.
Layer a variety of kitchen linens:
- Put a small rug near the sink to keep your feet warm while you wash the dishes.
- Get a fancy tablecloth or two for those special guests.
- Make sure that there’s a piece of warm fabric between yourself and every wooden or metal surface.
Invest In A Comfy Couch
Visit your favorite furniture store and sit on every couch until you find the one that feels most comfortable to you. If you have enough space, opt for a big sectional with modular pieces that can be rearranged depending on the occasion.
In case you have a smaller couch, why not place a stool nearby. You will be able to rest your feet comfortable while watching TV or reading a book.
Make sure to out our product guides:
- The Best Massage Chairs for Your Money
- The 5 Best Zero Gravity Massage Chairs
- The 5 Most Comfortable Recliner Chairs
Bring Warmth For Your Feet
To turn your property into a home requires your ultimate comfort. To achieve that every part of your body should feel cozy. And cold feet are a common problem for both women and men.
Take care of your feet by always having a pair of slippers nearby. Place several rugs at key points in your home: next to your bed, in front of the bathroom, near the sink in the kitchen. Your feet will be guarded where they’re usually most vulnerable.
Gather Around The Fireplace
The coziest thing to do with your family members is to snuggle around the lit fireplace and enjoy the warmth rushing from it.
If you don’t have a fireplace, consider investing in one or a product to deliver the same feeling without the hassle, nerves, costs, chores relating to building and up-keeping one. A real or fake fireplace could become the focal point of your living room and sprinkle intimacy throughout your home.
Combine the comfort of the fireplace with a couple of throw pillows, a blanket, a good book, and a cup of your favorite hot beverage.
Your Bathroom Comfort
- Put a charming shower curtain to brighten your day.
- Use bath mats that cheer up the room.
- Get towels that are both charming and cozy.
- Hang shelves to store what you use.
- Play with hangers to visually decorate.
- Pimp your shower with a rain forest shower head.
- Add a tub – claw foot or alcove.
For further inspiration, read:
7 Awesome Small Bathroom Designs That Will Make You Want To Remodel
Making Home Cozy – Wrap Up
In the end, remember to follow your own perception and needs of coziness. Implement whatever feels natural to you and enjoy the sanctuary you’ve created for yourself.
Author: Dmitri Kara
Started as a jack of all trades back in early 2012, Dmitri Kara is a recognized expert in a wide range of domestic and commercial trades. Dmitri Kara has appeared for reputable outlets such as Today.com, Metro.News, Telegraph.co.uk, ReadersDigest.com, Quote.com, Reviews.com, Plus.net, IkeaHackers.net, and many more. You can get in touch at https://twitter.com/@dmitrikara.