What does it mean for a house or an apartment to truly feel like home?
For you, for me, or any other person, the answer will vary. That’s why you have to figure out what makes you feel cozy and how to recreate the right mood in your property: happy, safe, charming, warm – homey.
Of course, you alone know what rings your bell the most but at Complete Home Spa we have prepared several actionable tips to further inspire and help. Regardless if the tenant or homeowner, there is a long way to reach truly intimate levels.
Without further ado, here are tips on how to make a house homey.
1. Add a Scent to Your Home
Decorating isn’t the only way to make a cozy home. One of the best ways to add the dash of comfort and delight is to treat your sense of smell too.
- Plan desired candlewick sizes and layout to decorate via scented candles;
- Consider making your own massage candles, soy candles, sea candles or 100% organic candles.
- Select different aroma to fit function per room.
- Diffuse essential oils by heating them with a candle or getting a diffuser. Lavender oil will create a more relaxing atmosphere, help with insomnia or even put toddlers to sleep. On the other hand, vanilla or cinnamon can boost your happy mood and make your home more festive. Just mind how much oil you put in your defuser. Check our inspirational read: 10 Uses of Essential Oils For Your Home (With Recipes!)
- Buy incense sticks instead to send aroma throughout your home.
2. Switch To Softer Lighting
The secret behind a cozier home is warm lighting.
- Replace any white or blue light bulbs with warm-colored ones. They will bring a softer glow in your home.
- Avoid using smart devices at night since they disperse blue light which is harsh on the eyes.
- Add extra warmth to lighting with the help of candles or tealights. They are an essential puzzle piece when you want to create a more intimate atmosphere.
- Consider red light therapy also known as light box therapy, low-level light therapy (LLLT), photobiomodulation (PBM), or photonic stimulation.
- Choose and try your pick from the best Himalayan salt lamps. There are many health benefits to Himalayan salt lamps.
3. Decorate With Possessions Dear to You
Step aside from mass consumerism and decorate with objects having meaning to you and your home.
- Surround yourself with furniture and decorations that have a story.
- Buy vintage items,
- Display gifts or possessions you’ve bought during your trips.
- Roam the shops for unique finds if you are a fan of antiques,
4. Bring Nature To Your Home
Fill your house or apartment with natural elements to increase how cozy the place.
- Get more green plants to clean up the air or tackle anxiety;
- Decorate with wood – doors, floors, furniture, picture frames;
- Try shishi odoshi – nothing calms the mind as water does;
- Use other natural materials too – leather, stone, feathers;
- Gather pine cones, flowers or herbs from outside and arrange them in beautiful centerpieces.
Furthermore, there are little things better for healthy aging than growing your own produce. You could plant and care for various herbs and spices, not to mention vegetables and fruits for those who love to garden.
5. Spruce Up Outdoor Areas (If Any)
How you bring comfort depends on the type of property you live it.
Do you live in a house? Does it have outdoor areas? A patio, front or backyard?
Follow our “20 Tips On How To Create A Relaxing Garden”. If garden inventory is set, look into the concept of grounding – the simplest rejuvenation trick around.
Do you live in an apartment? Does it have a terrace?
Consider laying decking or enhancing it with hanging pots and container gardening.
6. Hang Your Favorite Artworks and Memories
The best way to bring comfort to your abode is by displaying family photos, paintings, and the artwork you admire, souvenirs or postcards from memorable trips.
If you are renting the place and can’t drill holes in the walls, frame big photographs or posters and lean them against a bookshelf, a dresser or a wall.
Also, you could attach a string of fabric between two pieces of furniture and then hang small-print photos, notes or postcards.
7. Pimp Your Bedroom, Bed, and Linen
After all, your bed is the piece of furniture that resonates with your sense of comfort and coziness the most. It has to ensure you get a relaxing bedroom for good sleep every night.
Try these tips to make your bed and bedroom homier:
- Choose cotton, sateen or linen sheets for summer to keep you cool during the night.
- Opt for flannel, jersey or down comforters for the winter months.
- Add a throw blanket or a quilt at the bottom of your bed to have a plan B for extra cold nights.
- Invest in a mattress and foam pillows that offer exceptional back and neck support.
- Scatter a couple of charming decorative pillows over your bed to include a dash of color in your bedroom.
8. Create Your Own Book Heaven
A good book and a cup of hot tea sound like the perfect combo for a rainy day. Make the experience even more enjoyable by creating a dedicated reading nook. It might be near a window, a nook or under the stairs.
Place a comfortable chair, put a warm blanket and a pillow on top of it. Add a small table with a reading lamp and coasters. Your favorite books should be located within an arm’s length from you.
Now all that is left is to prepare a delicious hot cup of tea.
9. Bring Warmth To Your Kitchen
The kitchen often becomes a room for family and friends gatherings.
Make everyone feel at home by ensuring there’s a comfy sitting area, maybe a vase with flowers on the table, a portable speaker to provide musical accompaniment.
Let colors be your friend. Decorate or repaint the walls or refinish your kitchen cabinets. This will add more charm to the room.
Layer a variety of kitchen linens:
- Put a small rug near the sink to keep your feet warm while you wash the dishes.
- Get a fancy tablecloth or two for those special guests.
- Make sure that there’s a piece of warm fabric between yourself and every wooden or metal surface.
10. Invest In A Comfy Couch
Visit to your favorite furniture store and sit on every couch until you find the one that feels most comfortable to you. If you have enough space, opt for a big sectional with modular pieces that can be rearranged depending on the occasion.
In case you have a smaller couch, why not place a stool nearby. You will be able to rest your feet comfortable while watching TV or reading a book.
Make sure to out our product guides:
- The Best Massage Chairs for Your Money
- The 5 Best Zero Gravity Massage Chairs
- The 5 Most Comfortable Recliner Chairs
11. Bring Warmth For Your Feet
To turn your property into a home requires your ultimate comfort. To achieve that every part of your body should feel cozy. And cold feet are a common problem for both women and men.
Take care of your feet by always having a pair of slippers nearby. Place several rugs at key points in your home: next to your bed, in front of the bathroom, near the sink in the kitchen. Your feet will be guarded where they’re usually most vulnerable.
12. Gather Around The Fireplace
The coziest thing do with your family members is to snuggle around the lit fireplace and enjoy the warmth rushing from it.
If you don’t have a fireplace, consider investing in one or a product to deliver the same feeling without the hassle, nerves, costs, chores relating to building and upkeeping one. A real or fake fireplace could become the focal point of your living room and sprinkle intimacy throughout your home.
Combine the comfort of the fireplace with a couple of throw pillows, a blanket, a good book and a cup of your favorite hot beverage.
13. Your Bathroom Comfort
- Put a charming shower curtain to brighten your day.
- Use bath maths that cheer up the room.
- Get towels that are both charming and cozy.
- Hang shelves to store what you use.
- Play with hangers to visually decorate.
- Pimp your shower with a rain forest shower head.
- Add a tub – clawfoot or alcove.
For further inspiration, check out our:
7 Awesome Small Bathroom Designs That Will Make You Want To Remodel
At the end of it, remember to follow your own perception and needs of coziness. Implement whatever feels natural to you and enjoy the sanctuary you’ve created for yourself.
12 Tips On How To Create A Relaxing Bathroom
Do you have a relaxing bathroom, or is your bathroom small, dingy, and smelly? If you're not ready for a full-blown renovation, try these small and simple tricks that can help make your bathroom into an oasis of relaxation.
7 Awesome Small Bathroom Design Tips
Even if you just have a small bathroom at home, you can fix it up to look bigger than it is by employing these small bathroom designs and hacks.
20 Tips On How To Create A Relaxing Garden
Whether it's puttering about in your garden, visiting a public one, or just chilling it out in an allotment, even just 30 minutes a week in a relaxing garden can already do wonders for your mental and emotional health.
15 Tips On How To Create A Relaxing Kitchen
If you're ready to take on a challenge and level up your kitchen to make it an even more inviting space for you and your family, check out these little things that helped us when we renovated our own kitchen space.
13 Ways to Create a Relaxing Bedroom
Does your home lack a place to chill? Create a soothing and relaxing bedroom where you can escape from the pressures of real life. These 13 tips and tricks are easy and affordable but will make a real difference.