Hey guys! After talking about how salt lamps are the best thing since sliced bread, let’s go on to the best Himalayan salt lamps to buy.
Where do you buy your salt lamps from? Which one’s the best to buy?
I’ve gotten this question a lot. I’ve lost count of how many I’ve given out as gifts to clients, relatives, and friends. Not only are they my favorite thing, they’re also really a good gift to give to loved ones, especially those who are suffering from respiratory problems or allergies. It’s such a great feeling when they get back to me and rave how their sneezing / coughing / morning symptoms have all but disappeared.
If you’re looking for a Himalayan salt lamp for your own home or want to give one out as a gift, check out this tried and tested list.
- 1 – Best Overall: Levoit Himalayan Salt Lamp
- 2 – Best Tea Lights: Greenco Tealight Candle Holder (2 pieces)
- 3 – Best Salt Chunks in Basket: WBM
- 4 – Best Plug-in: AMIR
- 5 – Best Polished Salt Lamp: Modern Rectangle by d’aplomb
- 6 – Best Artisan Bowls: CrystalLitez
- 7 – Best White Himalayan Salt Lamp: Glow Store
- Where to buy Himalayan salt lamps?
- Do salt lamps actually work?
- How do I choose a Himalayan salt lamp?
- How do I know if my salt lamp is real?
- What are the benefits of a Himalayan salt lamp?
- Are salt lamps toxic?
- Do you keep Himalayan salt lamps on all the time?
- Is it good to sleep with a Himalayan salt lamp on?
- What is the best size Himalayan salt lamp?
- What size bulbs do salt lamps use?
Salt lamps come in a surprising array of shapes, forms, and craftsmanship. Beginner collectors might think of raw and unpolished crystals only and that’s fine. Even in this form, these crystals already come in a huge array of beautiful sizes and colors. But there’s more. Himalayan salt lamps can be bought polished, made into tea lights, or placed in metal baskets. Check these out.
1 – Best Overall: Levoit Himalayan Salt Lamp
If you’ve been following our site for the last few years, you’d know that we have stayed with one brand of Himalayan salt lamps. However, the Levoit salt lamps came out and they’ve been my brand of choice ever since. The build is simply superior and has made my worries about fire hazards almost non-existent.
If you ever ordered or bought a shoddy salt lamp and then gotten your hands on one of these high quality Levoit salt lamps, you’ll be able to tell the difference immediately. They’re not the #1 Himalayan salt lamps on Amazon for nothing. And the reviews are genuine, too.
Pros of Levoit Himalayan Salt Lamp:
- Unlike other salt lamps that have cheap dimmer switches, Levoit uses a much better dimmer switch. It is big and works by touch. One tap turns it on and off. A prolonged hold either dims or brightens the light. (We amp it up when my GF and I are feeling sick or when my “sneezy” nephew comes over.)
- Apart from the negative ionization that provide health benefits, here’s some good news for pet owners. It can rid you of the strong smell of “kitty anointments“. Now you don’t need to be dubbed the smelly crazy cat lady anymore.
- Great for sinus problems and asthma sufferers. My favorite testimonial on the product page is one customer’s story about how putting salt lamps in the room helped his 99-year-old father-in-law with COPD.
- This particular brand has a good track record unlike the horror stories from some other distributors which range from broken or used junk or fire hazards to outright fakes.
- The packaging is gorgeous. This is a big plus if you are giving them out as gifts as I normally do. (Christmas is around the corner, people!)
- Comes with 1 year warranty and lifetime support
Cons of Levoit Himalayan Salt Lamp:
- Just the typical cons for a salt lamp: they are heavy and will ‘weep’ when exposed to high humidity. (Simply leave it always on if this happens so that it dries out.)
See it in action in this video below:
Last update on 2022-06-30 at 01:02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API / More info
2 – Best Tea Lights: Greenco Tealight Candle Holder (2 pieces)
If you don’t want to break your budget but still want to try out authentic Himalayan rock salt, try getting tea lights first. These are basically candle holders and you put a small salt tea light into each crystal. When the salt rock is warmed, the ionizing effect happens and you get all the benefits you would similarly get from a regular Himalayan salt lamp.
For those who don’t like a naked flame, it’s possible to use electric tea lights – as long as they get hot enough.
As home decor, these tea lights look best in your den, living room, or dining area. One order comes with a pair and yet no two alike thanks to Mother Nature. They are all different but complimentary. Time and time again, they provide a great conversation piece when guests are a-visiting.
I’d like to share a cautionary note though that Himalayan lamps in general don’t provide adequate illumination to light up a room. In fact, that’s often a sign that you have a fake crystal. Real salt lamps only provide a soft and warm glow, and with tea lights, you get a smaller glow. Just helping first-timers manage expectations. 😉
Pros of Greenco Tealight Candle Holder:
- The cavity for the tea light is deep so there’s no danger of the candles dislodging accidentally.
- Cheaper than a regular Himalayan salt lamp
- Very sturdy
- Brings a beautiful ambiance to a room
- They came out bigger than I expected when I first ordered a pack
Cons of Greenco Tealight Candle Holder:
- As with any Himalayan salt lamp, it weeps in a humid room. This is natural especially when you remember that this light is essentially a big chunk of rock salt or pink salt.
- Unless you’re using electric tea lamps, you can’t leave it on all the time to avoid the weeping. (If you live in a non-humid climate, the weeping won’t be an issue.)
- Set of 2 Himalayan Hand crafted Crystal Salt tealight candle holders
- Produces a soft amber glow when lit for a soothing and romantic ambience
- Naturally cut and slightly Hand crafted to maintain its natural and uniqe shape
Last update on 2022-06-30 at 12:03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API / More info
3 – Best Salt Chunks in Basket: WBM
If you want a more elegant style for your Himalayan salt, you can check out Himalayan salt chunks in metal baskets or holders. The holders are usually ornate and the smaller chunks of Himalayan salt look very pretty sitting in the metal baskets.
The effect is still the same and you get all the benefits you would get from a regular Himalayan salt lamp.
This is Amazon’s Choice for salt lamp basket.
Pros of WBM Salt Chunks:
- Value for money; these salt crystals are cheaper than a one-piece Himalayan salt lamp
- Very stylish and elegant; well constructed
- A great addition if you’re collecting all the salt lamp styles
- No bacon/caustic smoky smell for the holder unlike one other brand I purchased from (which I returned PDQ)
Cons of WBM Salt Chunks:
- You might experience minor problems with the bulb and the dimmer switch. If you do, contact their customer support for a replacement lamp.
- Himalayan Glow Round Basket Salt Lamp with Pink Salt Chunks are Made From Beautiful Pink Himalayan Salt that is Mined in the Foothills of...
- Great As a Bed Light, Decorative Light and More. Himalayan Salt Lamps are Unique Home Decor Items, and Their Soft Warm Glow Makes Them...
- This Metal Basket is Corrosion Resistant and Durable. When You Turn on The Salt Lamp and It Will Glow Like a Flame.
Last update on 2022-06-30 at 01:02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API / More info
4 – Best Plug-in: AMIR
After collecting all sizes and colors of the best Himalayan salt lamps and getting a couple of the salt chunks in beautiful metal holders, I discovered these Himalayan salt night lights. In the beginning, I didn’t see the whole point. However, after stubbing my toes too often in the dark and finding only ugly night lights in the stores, I thankfully remembered these beautiful crystal salt night lights.
Just look at these photos. They seriously add something to a room. I personally like the beauty of raw unpolished rock.
Pros of AMIR Plug-in:
- Great as a night light for a cozy room you like to spend quiet evenings or for a child’s bedroom (especially for one with allergies)
- Each order gets you a unique color and warm glow which can be exciting when you’ve ordered several for different rooms and they light up with their unique luminescence. I’ve gotten my salt crystals in orange, pink, and white. The pink salt lamp is often a favorite.
- Small and handy; the plug-ins are a good option if you can’t have a table top Himalayan salt lamp
Cons of AMIR Plug-in:
- You need a sturdy wall socket that can can firmly support the device or else the lamp will wobble from its heavy weight
- You might have the misfortune of getting your light bulb busted during delivery. If this happens, simply contact the seller for a replacement bulb
- No dimmer switch; just a simple on and off button
- Hand-Carved Salt Rock: Due to the natural variation in Himalayan Crystal salt, each salt lights is a piece of a natural rock formation and...
- 100% Natural Material: Hand selected from the Himalayan Mountains, each of the salt lights is made from highest quality-AA level salt...
- Unique Lighting: With its unique color, AMIR salt lamps will emit a warm and calming amber glow to your room and offer better light...
Last update on 2022-06-30 at 02:31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API / More info
5 – Best Polished Salt Lamp: Modern Rectangle by d’aplomb
If you are not attracted to the raw beauty of the regular Himalayan salt lamps, you can check out this hand-carved and hand crafted salt lamp. The modern and sleek rectangular shape together with its wooden base is especially stylish and elegant. It is the perfect choice if you need a luxe gift. If you decide to get it yourself, it would look great in your living room and will surely get a lot of compliments.
Pros of d’aplomb Polished Lamp:
- The rectangular polished crystal is stunningly aesthetic
- Comes with two 15 watt bulbs and UL-listed electrical set. If you want to buy a bulb with lower wattage, just make sure the lamp is still getting warm as that’s when you get the benefits from your salt lamp.
- Comes with a dimmer switch so you can dim or brighten it depending on your mood
- The wood base is unique; most Himalayan salt lamps just come with a simple round base
- Bigger than expected
- Responsive customer support
Cons of d’aplomb Polished Lamp:
- More expensive than others on this list
- AUTHENTIC SALT LAMP: Made from 250 million year old salt from the Himalayan Mountains (the only source of true Himalayan Salt), this is...
- CRAFTED WOOD BASE AND DIMMER SWITCH: Includes two 15 watt bulbs and UL-Listed electrical set (dimmer switch is a UL-Recognized Component...
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: We provide a no-hassle 90 day warranty if there is any problem after receiving the product.
Last update on 2022-06-30 at 17:55 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API / More info
6 – Best Artisan Bowls: CrystalLitez
I rushed to update this article when I stumbled upon this Himalayan artisan crystal bowl. It stands out from the other rather generic crystals I’ve been ordering because of the eye-popping hand-carved designs.
If you love bright colors and designs or love handcrafted things then you can’t go wrong here.
Pros of CrystalLitez Artisan Bowls:
- Very unique and unforgettable design options
- You’ll have fun picking out a particular design for a friend (or yourself); I got the hamsa for myself and the sunset for a friend!
- If you use essential oil, you can add a couple of drops of EO on top of the crystals
Cons of CrystalLitez Artisan Bowls:
- Not as big as the pictures may lead you to believe
- ORGANIC,AROMATIC AND BENEFICIAL :Himalayan CrtsyalLitez is the new generation salt lamp that can be used in 3 ways.As a SALT LAMP, MOOD...
- DOZENS OF WONDERFUL DESIGN OPTIONS: for everyone and every place.Truly handmade by the artisans.You will see all unique patterns and art...
- 100% AUTHENTIC AND HAND MINED SALT CRYSTALS :from The Salt Mines of Himalaya Mountains.Your Salt Rocks are Roughly 250 million Years...
Last update on 2022-06-30 at 15:22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API / More info
7 – Best White Himalayan Salt Lamp: Glow Store
If you already have a couple of orange salt lamps, you might want to check out this white Himalayan crystal. It’s a refreshing addition to your collection and gives off a different vibe and energy. When I have guests over, they always exclaim at all the different crystal types I have in every room. The white crystal is always a conversation piece because people tend to mostly see the orange lamps.
Pros of Glow White Himalayan Salt Lamp:
- Unique white color
- Comes with a dimmer switch and an ETL certified cord
- Comes with one light bulb
- Very pretty when lit up
Cons of Glow White Himalayan Salt Lamp:
- The black plastic bottom is hard to remove
- WBM Create Modern Design White Salt Lamp to Match any Style or Personality. Use the Salt lamp as a Gentle Night Light, or To Create a...
- Safety and Quality: It Comes With a Light Bulb, ETL Certified Cord and Patented Dimmer Switch to Adjust Brightness and Match the Ambiance....
- Hand Curved White Himalayan Salt Lamp, This Salt Lamp is Hand Made From Salt Crystals From the Himalayan Mountains Pakistan. Lit with the...
Last update on 2022-06-30 at 09:35 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API / More info
Frequently Asked Questions About Salt Lamps
Where to buy Himalayan salt lamps?
Nowadays, your best bet is buying in your favorite stores. Amazon has the widest range of Himalayan salt lamp sellers, but other big store chains like Walmart or Costco would have them, too.
Once we’re back to the old normal and you happen on a trade fair, make sure to check out the stalls, too. You can find some nice handcrafted or artisan salt lamps this way.
Do salt lamps actually work?
Science-backed articles state that a Himalayan crystal salt lamp does not give out enough negative ion particles to effectively and thoroughly clean air. That being said, there is an overwhelming amount of anecdotal evidence and testimonials from real people who have experienced relief by having salt lamps in their homes.
How do I choose a Himalayan salt lamp?
When buying a Himalayan salt lamp, make sure to avoid fakes, choose the right size crystal for your room, and check the electronics to ensure that it’s not a fire hazard. Nowadays, you can buy all types of crystal lamps ranging from raw unpolished rock with a wooden base, tea lights, rock crystals in metal baskets, plug-ins, carved artisanal creations, and even fairy lights.
On the side of aesthetics, choose a color that resonates with you. Most people start off with a or an orange one then branch out to multiple colors.
How do I know if my salt lamp is real?
You know that you have a real Himalayan salt lamp if it:
- weeps in humid weather (creates a pool of salty water at the base)
- is fragile
- emits a warm soft glow
- is hefty and heavy
If your purchase arrives in the mail with tiny chunks broken off or some powder dusting the box, don’t be alarmed. It’s actually a good sign that your salt lamp lamp is not a fake. In addition, crystal lamps only emit a soft glow. If your lamp is lighting up a whole room, then you’ve got a fake Himalayan salt lamp.
Finally, you can also do the lick test. (Yes, you read that right.) Making sure that the surface has been wiped clean, you can give it a small lick to double check that it’s a real salt crystal.
You can read our full article on how to spot fakes.
What are the benefits of a Himalayan salt lamp?
You may experience the following benefits from these lamps:
- reduce the incidence of allergy or asthma attacks
- ease coughing
- minimize the smell of pets in a room
- clean indoor air of unpleasant smells
- air purification of some pollutants
- give off a relaxing ambience to any room
- enhances mood and promotes relaxation
- strengthen your immune and respiratory system
- helps in reducing harmful electromagnetic radiation and the accumulation of positive ions from everyday gadgets and appliances in the home
See our full article on the benefits of Himalayan salt lamps.
Are salt lamps toxic?
No, salt lamps are not toxic. They are basically a chunk of crystal salt specially mined from the Khewra salt mines in Pakistan. No chemicals or other ingredients have been added to them. The crystals are simply mined, carved, and hollowed out to make space for the electric lamp inside. Your lamp is basically composed of salt and trace minerals.
Do you keep Himalayan salt lamps on all the time?
Yes, Himalayan salt lamps are typically kept on all the time. When the salt crystal is warmed and heated, beneficial negative ions are released. You also keep the salt crystal from sweating or weeping in case of high humidity in your area. Just make sure your lamp has good electronics and you’ve monitored it in the first few days of use.
Is it good to sleep with a Himalayan salt lamp on?
It is ideal to sleep with a Himalayan salt lamp on to reap all the benefits from it. Keep it close enough without getting bothered by its glow. And make sure to wipe it clean of dust regularly to enjoy its full benefits.
What is the best size Himalayan salt lamp?
Just like electric air purifiers or air-conditioning units, there are recommended sizes of lamps depending on the size of your room.
For a small room that’s 10 feet across or less, a 7 pound salt lamp is enough. For a medium-sized room 12 feet across, you’d need a 9 pound lamp. If you have a large room that’s 14 feet wide, then you need to go to the next size — a 12 pounder. Finally, for extra large rooms that are 30 feet and up, you’d need more sizable crystals weighing 40 pounds and up. These bigger Himalayan lamps are harder to find, though.
Take note that there are special conditions affecting the efficacy of a salt lamp in a room like ventilation or temperature.
What size bulbs do salt lamps use?
Your salt lamp needs to be sufficiently warm to emit negative ions. The wattage on your light bulb needs to be just right for the size of the crystal.
For a small lamp weighing 3 to 11 pounds, a 15-watt bulb is sufficient. A medium-sized lamp weighing 12 to 20 pounds will need a 24-watt bulb, while big lamps weighing 21 to 40 pounds will need a 40-watt lightbulb.
Observe that your lamp is neither cold nor scalding to the touch. It should be just on the right size of warm.
If you’re on the fence whether you should buy a Himalayan salt lamp at all, I enthusiastically urge you to just go for it. Even if you are wary or even disbelieving of the supposed health benefits, just the sheer beauty of these salt lamps on cold and dark nights is so worth it. They really give joy.
Author: Mary Lou
In the Before Times, Maru spent vacations traveling and making stops at showrooms to test the latest massage chair models. Nowadays, she’s hunkered down in her small sunlit home dotted with her ever-growing collection of fiddle fig trees, indoor plants, and Himalayan salt lamps. Find her at LinkedIn.