How Many Drops of Essential Oils Should I Put in My Diffuser?
|Diffuser Size||Number of Drops|
If it is your first time using a diffuser and you’re not sure how much essential oil to put in, remember that the rule of thumb is to add sparingly in the beginning. It’s easier to add more drops slowly than be overwhelmed at the outset. These oils are typically highly concentrated, meaning that a small amount of essential oil can release a significant amount of fragrance.
You don’t want to overwhelm the area with fragrance. Any scented product, including essential oils, can be an irritant if it is inhaled. You are aiming for a slight hint of scent, rather than a dousing.
The usual amount of water held by a diffuser is 100ml, and typically it is recommended to add 3-5 drops of essential oil per 100ml of water. Of course, the amount you choose to add will vary according to personal preference, as well as the size of the room – larger rooms will benefit from slightly more oil.
Diffusers do come in different sizes, but these are usually in 100ml increments, and therefore calculating the number of drops of essential oil to add is relatively easy. The smallest, 100ml diffusers will take 3-5 drops on average, while the largest, 500ml diffusers will require 15-20 drops.
Once you’ve used your diffuser several times and experimented with different types of essential oils, you will have a good grasp of how many drops you need to make your room smell exactly the way you want.
- Signs That You’ve Used Too Much Essential Oil
- How to Use A Diffuser
- How Many Drops Are In 10ml?
- Essential Oils – What Are They Used For?
- How Many Drops of Essential Oils to Add to Lotions
- Pro-Tips and Warnings
- Take A Look At This Helpful Infographic
Signs That You’ve Used Too Much Essential Oil
If you feel any of these symptoms, this means that you might be heavy handed with how much essential oil you’re putting into your diffuser.
- Headache or migraine
- Dizziness or vertigo
If it’s your first time using essential oils or pairing them with a home diffuser, the rule “less is more” should guide you. Start with less drops first and then adjust the amount later on to suit the size of your room and your individual taste.
How to Use A Diffuser
It is generally recommended to place a diffuser on a high shelf, in order to allow for maximum dispersal.
All diffuser models vary, but, in general, they are relatively simple to set up.
- Remove the lid of your diffuser
- Fill it with water to the fill line
- Add the recommended number of drops of your preferred essential oil
- Screw the top back on firmly
- Place the diffuser in a suitable location in the room
How Many Drops Are In 10ml?
There are 200 drops in a 10ml bottle of essential oil. This means you can get an approximate 40-65 uses out of a 10ml bottle of essential oil if you’re using a 100ml diffuser.
You can typically purchase essential oils in small bottles that come in 5-15ml bottles. However, some types come in bigger bottles ranging from 30ml (1 ounce) to 120ml. Here are the number of essential oil drops there are in each bottle and how many uses you can get out of your purchase.
Important: This table shows computation for a typical 100ml diffuser.
Essential Oils – What Are They Used For?
Essential oils are often used to aid in sleep, relaxation, or even rejuvenation usually in a diffuser, as not all oils are suitable to be used on the skin.
Diffusers work by warming up the oils, often using hot water, causing a delicate, subtle fragrance to spread around the room.
Different scents are held to promote different states of mind – for example, lavender and sandalwood are relaxing and can induce sleep, whilst citrus scents are energizing and stimulating.
How Many Drops of Essential Oils to Add to Lotions
Essential oils can make a great addition to fragrance-free lotions, and can add an extra touch to your pampering regime.
When blending essential oils with lotion, the recommended ratio is 3 drops of oil to 10ml of lotion, although, again, this can be varied for personal preference.
This is also a good ratio to work with when blending essential oils with carrier oils such as grapeseed and jojoba for massage.
Pro-Tips and Warnings
- Essential oils should not be used directly on the skin.
- You should not drink essential oils, or use them in food.
- Make sure your room is well-ventilated when diffusing essential oils to avoid headaches.
- If you have high blood pressure, do NOT diffuse for more than 60 minutes. It can aggravate your hbp. Pregnant women and diabetics should exercise the same caution.
- The best way to enjoy diffusing essential oils is to add them fresh to your diffuser each time.
- Change out your water and clean the bowl every couple of days.
- Mixing heavy essences with lighter ones is good practice. For example, mix frankincense with orange.
- Essential oils are most effective when diffused through heated water, or blended with fragrance-free lotions, and carrier oils such as jojoba or grapeseed, and then used as part of a massage or pamper regime.
Take A Look At This Helpful Infographic
How To Use Essential Oils To Help Toddlers Sleep
Ask any sleep-deprived parent how their young kids are sleeping at night and they're liable to flip a table. If only they knew that you can use essential oils to help toddlers sleep!
The Best Essential Oils for Relaxation, Mood, and More
Relax, melt your stress away, and improve your mood with our picks for the best essential oils. Use alone or with an aromatherapy diffuser.
10 Uses of Essential Oils For Your Home (With Recipes!)
Get rid of your commercial home care products and DIY your own with just a few simple ingredients. Safer for you and easier on the pocket!
7 Best Essential Oils for Insomnia
Need the best essential oil for insomnia for yourself or your children? Get restful and rejuvenating sleep with our top 7 picks.
The Best Aromatherapy Diffusers (Reviews)
Put essential oils to work in your home with the best aromatherapy diffuser. We've rated the best options from cheap to premium.
UrPower Diffuser Review (2nd Gen)
After more than a year of using this product, we're finally sharing our UrPower diffuser review. Find out why we think it's a gem of a find.