How Many Drops of Essential Oils Should I Put in My Diffuser?
|Diffuser Size||Number of Drops|
The most important thing is not to use too much of any essential oil. These oils are typically highly concentrated, meaning that a small amount of essential oil can release a significant amount of fragrance.
You don’t want to overwhelm the area with fragrance. Any scented product, including essential oils, can be an irritate if it is inhaled. You are aiming for a slight hint of scent, rather than a dousing.
The usual amount of water held by a diffuser is 100ml, and typically it is recommended to add 3-5 drops of essential oil per 100ml of water. Of course, the amount you choose to add will vary according to personal preference, as well as the size of the room – larger rooms will benefit from slightly more oil.
Diffusers do come in different sizes, but these are usually in 100ml increments, and therefore calculating the number of drops of essential oil to add is relatively easy. The smallest, 100ml diffusers will take 3-5 drops on average, while the largest, 500ml diffusers will require 15-20 drops.
How to Use A Diffuser
It is generally recommended to place a diffuser on a high shelf, in order to allow for maximum dispersal.
All diffuser models vary, but, in general, they are relatively simple to set up.
- Remove the lid of your diffuser
- Fill it with warm water to the fill line
- Add the recommended number of drops of your preferred essential oil
- Screw the top back on firmly
- Place the diffuser in a suitable location in the room
How Many Drops of Essential Oils to Add to Lotions
Essential oils can make a great addition to fragrance-free lotions, and can add an extra touch to your pampering regime.
When blending essential oils with lotion, the recommended ratio is 3 drops of oil to 10ml of lotion, although, again, this can be varied for personal preference.
This is also a good ratio to work with when blending essential oils with carrier oils such as grapeseed and jojoba for massage.
How Many Drops of Essential Oil are in an Ounce?
There are 20 drops of oil in one ounce.
Essential Oils – What Are They Used For?
Essential oils are often used to aid relaxation, usually in a diffuser, as not all oils are suitable to be used on the skin.
Diffusers work by warming up the oils, often using hot water, causing a delicate, subtle fragrance to spread around the room.
Different scents are held to promote different states of mind – for example, lavender and sandalwood are said to be relaxing, whilst citrus scents are believed to be energising and stimulating.
- An ounce of essential oil is 20 drops
- An ounce of essential oil (20 drops) is more usually recorded as a ml
- Essential oils should not be used directly on the skin
- You should not drink essential oils, or use them in food
- Essential oils are most effective when diffused through heated water, or blended with fragrance free lotions, and carrier oils such as jojoba or grapeseed, and then used as part of a massage or pamper regime.
Last update on 2017-07-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API