- Executive Summary
- Company Background
- Panasonic EP-MA73 Specs
- Main Features
- Panasonic EP-MA73 Additional Features
The Panasonic EP-MA73 is the latest edition to the top selling Real Pro Ultra line. This incredible massage chair features a lot of the great features from the EP-MA70 but it has more added technology such as Ultra Air Kneading Technology, New Neckline Stretch and 3D Ultra Kneading that comes with Heated Massage Technology.
If you liked the MA70, you’ll like the MA73 even more.
Panasonic is a brand that is known internationally. It was formerly named Matsushita Electric Industrial Co. The company was founded in 1918 and has been providing electronics products until today.
By 2012, Panasonic has been declared as the world’s 4th largest television manufacturer. The company has grown to be one of the biggest Japanese electronics producers in the world.
Panasonic EP-MA73 Specs
The Panasonic EP-MA73 comes with an upholstery of synthetic leather. It has an upright dimension of 45.3H x 37.4W x 48D inches and a reclined dimension of 26H x 37.4W x 79.6D inches.
Flat recline: 170 degrees
The ideal height range for this product is from 4’10” to 6’3”.
Panasonic provides a 5-year warranty for all of their massage chairs including the Panasonic EP-MA73. During the first 3 years, the company will service the parts and labor without cost but on the remaining 2 years, customers will shoulder the labor while parts will remain free. Take note that only the electrical components and massage block are covered.
- Sophisticated 3D Massage Roller – This hi-tech massage chair comes with very humanistic massage rollers, considered as best in the world. They work like a simulated human hand.
- Heated Massage Rollers – The Panasonic EP-MA73 basically simulates warm hands. Imagine yourself being massaged by a professional masseuse. You can even fine tune the intensity by choosing from 3 settings.
- Junetsu Massage – This is an exclusive Panasonic massage chair feature. The Panasonic EP-MA73 also comes with this feature wherein your muscles quickly loosen up. This helps in relieving stiffness and promotes better body movement.
- Body Scan Technology – This feature uses technology with advanced pressure sensor for mapping your back virtually. As the Panasonic EP-MA73 scans the body, it also performs a massage that fits ideally for the curvature of your spine.
- Air Compression Massage – This electric massage chair contains a 33 air bag compression system. These airbags are specifically placed and designed to target the key parts of the body in order to provide the ultimate massage. You can choose to turn on or off each region and it also comes with 3 intensity levels to choose from.
- New Palm and Arm Massage – The Panasonic EP-MA73 massage chair comes with armrests that pop-up. These armrests have airbags. As you recline, the armrests adjust and allows you to even get an arm massage even if you are lying down.
- Automatic Programs – With the Panasonic EP-MA73, you can choose from 6 preset automatic programs namely: Deep, Refresh, Hip, Lower Back, Neck and Shoulder, and Shiatsu.
- Manual Programs – You can also opt for creating your own program by using 6 manual modes namely: Rolling, Swedish, Kneading, Shiatsu, Tapping, and Junetsu Ultra Kneading. Create your own massage program utilizing 6 different manual modes: Junetsu Ultra Kneading, Shiatsu, Kneading, Swedish, Rolling, and Tapping.
- Dual Purpose Recliner
- Shoulder Massage
- Seat & Hip Massage
- Calf Massage
- Foot Massage
- Heated Footrest
- Shoulder Blade Stretch
- Leg Stretch
- Pelvic Stretch & Tilt
Panasonic EP-MA73 Additional Features
- Auto Recline
- Auto Ottoman
- Flexible Ottoman
- LCD Style Panel Remote
- Manual Ottoman Length Adjustment
- Self Adjusting Armrests
It’s a bit of a struggle writing the pros and cons of this chair because the MA73 is basically the older model (MA70) with some tweaks and enhancements built in. Because this model is basically the MA70 at its core, the pros and cons remain the same.
I’m inclined to be a lazy ass and just tell you to read my previous MA70 writeup. However, what I’ll do is just assume that you haven’t read the MA70 review.
FYI, I will also do an MA70 vs MA73 article next week to add more clarity to the upgrades.
Japanese Designed and Engineered
If you’ve been following our massage chair reviews, you’d know that we are biased for Japanese-made massage chairs (or any product, for that matter). They simply last that much longer and have the best cutting edge technology.
This line of Panasonic massage chairs is no different. According to Alan Wiedner, our favorite massage chair expert, the Panasonic EP-MA73 has a failure rate of 1%. This is amazing by massage chair industry standards.
Heated Massage Rollers
We mentioned cutting edge technology. How many massage chairs have you heard with heated massage rollers.? Not too many, if there are even any apart from this line of Panasonic chairs.
The heated rollers bring the massage experience to another level. It simulates the feeling of massage by human hands even more and is absolutely heaven when we suffer from extremely cold temperatures brought on by weather.
And here’s another suprising thing. It’s got jade stone rollers that get heated up by little heating units in the chair. Apart from the fact that they feel wonderful rolling up and down the length of your body, there are many articles on the Internet extolling the benefits of jade rollers.
Superior Massage Technology
We sang praises to the MA70’s excellent massage features. We thought it can’t get any better but apparently, it can because its Japanese engineers managed to improve the massage technology on these chairs even further.
Similar to the MA70, this new model still has the following:
- 3d scan technology that scans your body for the best custom massage program
- 3D massage rollers which let you increase or decrease the intensity of the rollers
- calf/arm/leg massages
- 10 patented Junetsu massage techniques for loosening tight muscles
Junetsu is a Japanese word for “ultra fine kneading”. The term refers to the movement of professional massage therapists wherein they knead into the patient’s muscles with one-second circular motions with their thumbs. In the Panasonic EP series, small thumb-like mechanisms knead the user’s muscles horizontally and vertically to remove tension from the body.
Soft and Hard Massages
There are basically two types of people when it comes to the intensity of massages — those who like their massages soft and soothing, and those who like it really deep and hard.
If you are the latter, then we highly recommend this series.
Now, here’s another awesome thing. You don’t get stuck with just the hard massage intensity. If you want variety or there are days wherein you need a softer massage, you can customize the MA73. This chair’s engineers added a gradient scale on the remote control so that you can choose softer intensities.
This is definitely a huge plus for design and usability.
Here’s another feature that most chairs don’t have but should have — memory function. Similar to the MA70, you can save up to 3 programs so that you can immediately choose the saved program you want. This is very useful if you have specially customized programs for specific scenarios.
A lot of users of both the MA70 and MA73 experience a decrease in any body pain they have been suffering from. I attribute this to the superior massage technology we discussed at length AND the stretch program available on these chairs.
The stretch program mimics the adjustment that one can get from a session at the chiropractor’s. In the MA73, the stretch program involves the pelvic, back, and the neck areas. The seat drops while rollers position themselves under the skull to keep it in place. The shoulders are pinned in place by airbags and the back is stretched.
(I can’t help but be reminded of the traction therapy I used to get at the hospital. I digress.)
Improved Features Over The MA70
I really like it when designers and engineers come through and come up with real improvements over older models. I’ll be elaborating more on my next article but here’s what’s better on the MA73:
- Improved heated massage in the feet and arm airbags
- Improved arm massage thanks to the new diamond design on the arm airbags
- Improved foot massages due to the installment of a small, round knob that adds an intense massage experience
- Improved neck massage as it has evolved to be deeper, more intense, and hits the neck areas better
- Improved lower back rollers to address complaints on the previous model
- Now caters to taller people; the difference is 2-4 inches more from the MA70’s max 6’1″ height.
Addressed Issues with the MA70
I was seriously struggling to come up with cons for this baby so I looked at the cons that I’d listed with the MA70. It took me that to realize that they’d mostly been addressed.
- “Average” airbags? Now improved.
- No calf heating? Voila! Now with thermal foot massage.
- MP3 support?
If you are looking for a budget chair and you only have a couple of thousand bucks, then move on. This chair is not the most expensive out there, but it is still quite pricey.
I’d have to say though that both MA70 and MA73 are worth every penny you pay for.
Not Zero Gravity
This massage chair can incline up to 170 degrees. Just ten degrees more and it would be a zero gravity chair. It’s a puzzle why it wasn’t made into a zero gravity chair. The only thing I can think of is that it may interfere with some of its current design and features?
If you ask us for the best chairs we can recommend you and tell us that you have the money for it, we’d be pointing you to our premium chairs AND these two — the MA70 and the MA73.
The Panasonic EP series is very solid in design and features. It will last you a very long time while giving you a superior and comprehensive massage experience.
If you want to save a bit, go for the MA70. However, if you can afford the additional thousand bucks, go for the improved and upgraded model – the MA73. You’d be joining the ranks of satisfied buyers who have no complaints about their purchase.
- Stretch, soothe and restore tense, tired muscles with the premium, high-comfort luxury massage chair designed to simulate the warmed,...
- Multi-directional thermal massage rollers create soothing warmth to help loosen tense muscles in the neck, shoulders and back. A Shiatsu...
- Ten soothing Ultra Knead Junetsu massage techniques help relax tight muscles while a thumb-like massage roller kneads vertically and...
Last update on 2018-03-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API