Korean face masks are the best! (“The best, Jerry, the best!”) My female heart just can’t pass up the beautifully packaged beauty products whenever I enter a Korean beauty store. I always end up with a few goodies in cute paper packages by the time I exit the shop.
The problem is… the instructions are sometimes all in a different language. Don’t worry, chingu! Today, I’ll be teaching you how to apply Korean face mask sheets.
But first… a little background. Let’s talk briefly about WHY Korean face masks are so popular nowadays.
The Korean face mask craze
So I talked about how pretty these packages are. Just take a look!
Putting them on is another matter though. I admit, I give Philip the occasional accidental scare whenever he turns around and sees me with a face mask on. Maybe I remind him of Jason from Friday the 13th?
Still, the horror movie villain look is not scaring me away from my face mask friends. Their popularity can be explained easily:
- They give good results
- They’re easy to use
- They’re affordable
- They give you a 20-minute spa experience (for just $2!)
How to put on a Korean face mask
Just to show you how easy it is to apply a Korean face mask, take a look at these simple steps:
- Cleanse your face and apply your toner.
- Open the package and unfold the sheet mask. Be careful not to spill the excess liquid. (We’ll use that later.)
- Put the mask on your face. Make sure it sticks to your whole face so that it is getting all this nutritious skin food.
- Set a timer for 15 to 20 minutes. And NO LONGER than that!
- While you wait, squeeze out the remaining liquid essence from the package. Massage it in to your neck, chest, or elbows.
- Relax. Remove the sheet mask on time.
- Massage the remaining essence onto your face in upward sweeps until it is absorbed into your skin.
It looks like a long list but really, it’s just clean face, apply face mask, massage leftover essence onto your face, and take off.
See Also: Best Korean Face Masks For Acne
Tips on how to get the best results from your Korean face mask
My step-by-step was pretty detailed but here are a couple more tips that I want to elaborate on. I love applying face masks and I want you to have the best experience too!
- If the temperature is warm-ish, you can make for a refreshing spa experience by putting your face mask in the refrigerator before use. The added coolness is simply heaven.
- Choose the type of face mask you need. You can choose from the regular kinds like brightening, soothing, firming, and anti-aging. As you can see from my weekly haul, I gravitate towards firming and anti-wrinkling because of my
advancing maturingtop-secret age.
- Try not to get your under-eye area covered. Your face mask is slotted in such a way that this area is avoided. Korean face sheets actually avoid covering this area because the skin there is too sensitive.
- Don’t wipe away the excess liquid with cotton balls or tissue. This is precious skin food! Give some love to other parts of your body. I like to massage it onto my neck, hands, and dry elbows. Always remember to massage with an upwards motion.
- NEVER go longer than 15 or 20 minutes. I mistakenly thought before that longer was better. I was wrong! When your face mask dries up, it will also dry up your skin.
- You can flip your mask halfway through your session. You get the essence from the other end AND you get another cooling effect.
- After taking off your mask, massage the remaining essences onto your face, again in upward strokes. This increases blood flow and will help make your skin more radiant.
Lastly, I want to share how I create a delightful relaxing spa feeling when I do my brief face mask session. I put on my favorite music and fire up my aromatherapy diffuser. I turn off the fluorescent lights and make sure my salt lamp is on. I light a few candles and relax in my favorite recliner. There’s nothing like a home spa experience for relaxation.
What next? My 10 step Korean face care system
Ahh… but that’s for another day. 😉
Last update on 2017-07-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API