Korean face masks are the best! (“The best, Jerry, the best!”) My female heart just can’t pass up the beautifully packaged beauty products whenever I enter a Korean beauty store. I always end up with a few goodies in cute paper packages by the time I exit the shop.
The problem is… the instructions are sometimes all in a different language. Don’t worry, chingu! Today, I’ll be teaching you how to apply Korean face mask sheets.
But first… a little background. Let’s talk briefly about WHY Korean face masks are so popular nowadays.
The Korean face mask craze
So I talked about how pretty these packages are. Just take a look!
Putting them on is another matter though. I admit, I give Philip the occasional accidental scare whenever he turns around and sees me with a face mask on. Maybe I remind him of Jason from Friday the 13th?
Still, the horror movie villain look is not scaring me away from my face mask friends. Their popularity can be explained easily:
- They give good results
- They’re easy to use
- They’re affordable
- They give you a 20-minute spa experience (for just $2!)
How to put on a Korean face mask
Just to show you how easy it is to apply a Korean face mask, take a look at these simple steps:
- Cleanse your face and apply your toner.
- Open the package and unfold the sheet mask. Be careful not to spill the excess liquid. (We’ll use that later.)
- Put the mask on your face. Make sure it sticks to your whole face so that it is getting all this nutritious skin food.
- Set a timer for 15 to 20 minutes. And NO LONGER than that!
- While you wait, squeeze out the remaining liquid essence from the package. Massage it in to your neck, chest, or elbows.
- Relax. Remove the sheet mask on time.
- Massage the remaining essence onto your face in upward sweeps until it is absorbed into your skin.
It looks like a long list but really, it’s just clean face, apply face mask, massage leftover essence onto your face, and take off.
See Also: Best Korean Face Masks For Acne
Tips on how to get the best results from your Korean face mask
My step-by-step was pretty detailed but here are a couple more tips that I want to elaborate on. I love applying face masks and I want you to have the best experience too!
- If the temperature is warm-ish, you can make for a refreshing spa experience by putting your face mask in the refrigerator before use. The added coolness is simply heaven.
- Choose the type of face mask you need. You can choose from the regular kinds like brightening, soothing, firming, and anti-aging. As you can see from my weekly haul, I gravitate towards firming and anti-wrinkling because of my
advancing maturingtop-secret age.
- Try not to get your under-eye area covered. Your face mask is slotted in such a way that this area is avoided. Korean face sheets actually avoid covering this area because the skin there is too sensitive.
- Don’t wipe away the excess liquid with cotton balls or tissue. This is precious skin food! Give some love to other parts of your body. I like to massage it onto my neck, hands, and dry elbows. Always remember to massage with an upwards motion.
- NEVER go longer than 15 or 20 minutes. I mistakenly thought before that longer was better. I was wrong! When your face mask dries up, it will also dry up your skin.
- You can flip your mask halfway through your session. You get the essence from the other end AND you get another cooling effect.
- After taking off your mask, massage the remaining essences onto your face, again in upward strokes. This increases blood flow and will help make your skin more radiant.
Lastly, I want to share how I create a delightful relaxing spa feeling when I do my brief face mask session. I put on my favorite music and fire up my aromatherapy diffuser. I turn off the fluorescent lights and make sure my salt lamp is on. I light a few candles and relax in my favorite recliner. There’s nothing like a home spa experience for relaxation.
What next? My 10 step Korean face care system
I finally wrote it up, people! Hop on over to HERE.
Written and updated by Mary Lou
Everything You Wanted To Know About Facial Saunas
What are facial saunas? How do they work? What can they do for your skin? Answer all your questions in our comprehensive guide to facial saunas.
The 5 Best Korean Face Masks for Acne
While most Korean face masks are either hydrating or brightening, a small number target acne-prone skin. Find out our number 1 pick for the best Korean face mask for acne.
How To Remove Acne Overnight in 3 Simple Steps
Before you resort to pharma products, check out these safe natural remedies and techniques on how to remove acne overnight - you might get a nice surprise!
Mediheal N.M.F. Aquaring Ampoule Mask Review
I've been using the Mediheal NMF Aquaring Ampoule mask review on and off for more than a year now along with other Korean beauty masks. Read my full review!
What Is Skin Fasting?
One of the hottest trends in the beauty market is skin fasting. But what is it, how do you do it, what are the benefits? Most importantly, is it something you should try?
MediHeal Tea Tree Mask Review
Buying a Mediheal face mask? This Mediheal Tea Tree review will let you know how the face mask feels, if it's effective, and if it's worth getting.