- What is a TENS Unit?
- Best TENS Units on The Market – Our Reviews
- Best High-End TENS Units (MSRP +100 USD)
- Best Mid-Price TENS Units
- Best Budget-friendly TENS Units (MSRP Under 50 USD)
What is a TENS Unit?
The TENS is a device that works on a very simple principle – muscles react to tiny, safe jolts of electricity. The electrical current stimulates and heals nerves and cures a wide variety of nerve conditions. Chiropractors, for example, often use the TENS, as this device can bring incredible relief to aching areas of the body, especially the lower back area.
A low voltage current is used to stimulate the nerves, in order to provide pain relief. Soothing vibrations pass through the skin (they don’t actually pierce the skin, of course, the TENS works similarly to an EKG machine) by using pads which are placed on the skin itself.
These devices are battery-powered (this type of device is usually plugged into a 120V outlet) and between 2 and 4 electrodes are commonly attached to the area needing treatment. The TENS also regulates frequency, which basically means that it contracts and relaxes muscles continually, which directly helps our brains produce the “natural painkiller”, something called endorphin.
But, let’s not get too scientific, let’s talk a bit about which conditions can TENS units be used for. The TENS can be used for:
|Neck and shoulder pain||Labor pain||Sports injuries|
|Back pain||Knee pain||Osteoarthritis|
|Muscle pain||Heel pain||Migraines|
|Elbow pain||Hip pain||Nerve injuries|
|Wrist pain||Ankle pain||Post-op pain|
|Foot pain||Menstrual pain||Arthritis|
…and much, much more.
The great thing about TENS units is that they’re portable, mobile and practical. You can carry them everywhere and simply apply them to painful areas of your body whenever you want. Doctors, massage therapists, fitness coaches, chiropractors all use these devices and recommend them to their patients or customers for individual home use. TENS devices are highly efficient for pain relief, but they don’t have any negative side effects like painkillers do.
Best TENS Units on The Market – Our Reviews
Now that we’ve talked a bit about benefits of using TENS units to cure and relieve pain, it’s time to see what the best TENS devices are. There is a device for every budget and every type of pain and, to make the entire process of choosing the right one for your needs, we have divided our review section into three parts:
- High-end TENS units
- Mid-price TENS units
- Budget-friendly TENS units
Without further ado, let’s start.
Best High-End TENS Units (MSRP +100 USD)
The trūMedic TM-1000PRO Deluxe is an incredibly powerful, high-end TENS unit that provides pain relief for virtually all muscles in your body. This unit offers a wide variety of functions, modes and programs and, at the same time, manages to stay extremely user-friendly.
The LCD display is crystal clear and easy to read. Intensity and speed can be effortlessly managed and adjusted as per your needs. All buttons are clearly labelled in English and the unit can be easily controlled.
4 electrode pads, two electrode lead wires, a USB wire and an A/C adapter are included. The device itself is practical, small (dimensions: 6 x 1.8 x 0.5 inches) and lightweight (weighs just about 4 ounces).
- "Extend the life of your Electrode Pads by using the TENS TAC Gel.wipe the device with water or a neutral detergent from time to time.This...
The FDA Cleared HealthmateForever® TENS Unit Pro12AB is one of the best TENS units available on the market today. This gadget has 12 modes for powerful therapy and great pain relief.
What separates this unit from all the others is its unique ability to treat different muscle areas at the same time. The LCD display is clear and crisp and a long-lasting lithium battery is also included with the unit, as well as a wide variety electrode wires and pads.
The HealthmateForever is the perfect alternative for medication and the best possible substitute for a massage therapist. On top of that, it is FDA approved, which pretty much means its 100% safe to use and no negative side-effects can be expected. 20 levels of adjustable strength and intensity settings and a user-friendly design are a guarantee that this multi-purpose device will help anyone suffering from mild to severe pain, anywhere on the body.
- • FEATURES - 15 preprogrammed operation modes that can be switched easily by pressing on M button: Tuina, Acupuncture, Tapping, Guasha,...
- • WHAT IS IT? - HealthmateForever TENS & PMS Pro15AB is our upgraded and most enhanced TENS unit. It offers wireless feature when using...
- FEATURES - 2 outputs are isolated, so both channel A and channel B has the same 100% power, without reducing strength in half, press the...
Best Mid-Price TENS Units
Zewa’s SpaBuddy Sport TENS Pain Therapy is the perfect TENS unit for fitness enthusiasts and can serve as a personal massage therapist to those of you who like to remain physically active and are looking for ways to avoid and eliminate pain.
It can be used anywhere on the body, except on the head. All that you need to do is place the electrodes on the area that causes the most pain and you’re set. This unit will provide you with pain relief when you’ve overworked your muscles in the gym or after any other physically demanding activity.
8 computer-controlled programs are included. It’s recommended that you start with low-intensity programs, just to see how the device operates and how it affects your body, then you can move on to the other ones. However, even if you go too far and things get too intense, there is no need to worry, as there are no known side-effects from using this device.
An LCD display is easy to read and provides valuable insight to the user and the entire device is solid and well-built, so it shouldn’t get easily damaged, which means it’s perfect to carry around and use at work or while travelling.
The Zewa SpaBuddy Sport TENS is FDA approved and regularly sold over the counter.
- Provides temporary pain relief using electromassage therapy (TENS)
- Easy to use with 8 computer controlled programs
- 30 intensity levels with 2 channels and Timer (5 - 95min and continuous)
The PurePulse Pro Advanced TENS Unit Muscle Stimulator is a powerful TENS unit that can easily replace your massage therapist. This device is perfect for treating sore and painful muscles and perfect for relieving pain in your neck, lower back, shoulders, legs, feet, arms and waist – essentially you can use this device everywhere except on your head.
Another conveniently portable TENS unit, the PurePulse Muscle Stimulator is great to relax at home after a long day at work, but also perfect for those of you who tend to travel a lot. This product has 8 programmable therapy functions available, which can be selected by using the simple LED screen.
4 electrode pads, three AA batteries, two connector leads and a convenient storage bag are also included.
- Learn how to get maximum relief from PurePulse Pro with our FREE Pain Management Video Series, which demonstrates how to use the PurePulse...
- FDA Approved and 2 Year Warranty - Your satisfaction is guaranteed
- Customize your treatment with the easy-to-use LCD display, which lets you select from 8 preset therapy programs and adjust the timer from...
Best Budget-friendly TENS Units (MSRP Under 50 USD)
The TENS 7000 is one of the best budget-friendly TENS units available today. Significantly better than its predecessor, the 2nd Edition has an accurate digital processor and a strong (10 mA) output, but it is, at the same time, a user-friendly unit that can be used to treat many conditions and provide:
- Instant relief of chronic pain
- Pain relief for shoulders, neck, back and feet
- An increase in blood circulation
- Muscle spasms relaxation
A concise user manual, which contains 5 defined program modes, is included with the product. They are, as follows: Normal Mode, Burst Mode, Modulation Mode and two types of The Strength Duration Mode (SD1 and SD2).
These different modes are there to ensure maximum pain relief, as you can switch between them until you feel better.
- Electronic Nerve Stimulation (ENS) for pain management and rehabilitation
- Includes: 1 complete sets electrodes - four (4) individual electrodes in all, a TENS unit manual, TENS Unit, lead wires, 9-volt battery,...
- Professional unit: Tens 7000. Portable unit with flexible and adjustable settings
The Santamedical is another budget-friendly unit, perfect for individuals who travel a lot and need a portable device to carry around and use when needed, to relieve pain in shoulders, neck, lower back, joints, feet and legs.
The LCD display shows the massage style, as well as intensity and time taken to complete the massage.
This unit has 6 automatic stimulation programs and a handheld controller is also included, as well as 2 sets of 4 electrodes with attached pads. A practical charger and a USB cable are there to ensure mobility and make this device practical and easy to use. The Santamedical™ TENS Unit is small (dimensions: 1.0 x 0.3 x 6-inches) and light (just a little over 5.3 ounces) and therefore the perfect portable, budget-friendly TENS unit.
- Six Auto Modes (stimulation programs), , Fully-adjustable Speed & Intensity, High Frequency stimulation to relieve pain
- Three selectable massages for quick pain relief, 4 Attachment pads included, Power: DC 6V (4 AAA batteries included)
- Best unit for Stress, Muscle Soreness, Stiffness, or Chronic Pain. The Simplest Tens Pulse Massager Is Also the Most Advanced
Offering both TENS and Powered Muscle Simulator, this small device will barely make a dent in your wallet. Follow the ‘related products’ link on Amazon if you want to get a pair of specially designed massager shoes with it!
We hope you found this list useful, and we wish you great pain relief with your new TENS unit!
Last update on 2017-07-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API