There are several reasons why you might need to invest in a paraffin bath, the most common of which is pain relief for those who have arthritis or bursitis in their hands, feet, or joints.
There are also those who just like the soft, smooth skin that comes with regularly using the paraffin wax. Whatever the reason for purchasing, you want to make sure that you get the best paraffin bath available. With so many different models on the market, not to mention so many different price points, it can be tough to know which way to go.
We want to help make that decision easier, which is why we have chosen 5 of the best paraffin baths currently available. We will describe a little bit about the features of each, as well as the pros and cons of each.
5. Homedics Paraspa Plus Paraffin Bath
The Homedics Paraffin Bath is a thermostatically heated unit that comes with 3 pounds of wax, as well as 20 liners that are used to slow down the cooling of the wax once it has been applied to the area that you are treating. The unit itself comes with a grate that covers the heating element inside, ensuring that your skin does not encounter the element. It also features a secure locking latch on top that will prevent the wax from spilling out when it heating and cooling.
We believe that this paraffin bath is made more for use with the hands, as the size and shape of it make it a little hard to manage for anyone but those with petite little feet. It certainly does deliver the goods in terms of delivering smooth skin on the hands, and is also effective at helping deal with pain relief. The manual for the Homedics Paraffin Bath suggests that you leave the unit always on, which is why the safety latch comes in handy, but this is a decision that may well depend on your ability to store the unit when not using it.
• Great price point
• Safety latch helps make it easy to store without fear of leaks
• Safety grate prevents skin from touching the heating element
• Comes with 3 pounds of wax, as well as 20 plastic liners
• Hydrates the skin to keep it smooth
• The wax gets very hot
• There have been reports of the wax leaking
• It’s a little too small to handle larger feet
4. Therabath Professional Thermotherapy Paraffin Bath
The Therabath Pro paraffin bath is a model that has evolved over the years, and it can be argued that this may be the best version yet. You have to like a company that listens to customer concerns and does something about it. Therabath have now delivered a paraffin bath that is 25% deeper than before, making it easier to get your hands and feet right in there. The tank itself is made from anodized aluminum, which means you get a unit that is both lightweight and energy efficient.
The bath is aesthetically pleasing, and is finished in white with a tan lid. It comes with 6 pounds of wax that can be used in any type of bath, which is handy for households that have more than one type of paraffin bath. Like other units, it’s recommended that you leave this one on around the clock, but the difference here is that it comes with an Always Safe Temperature Range that makes it safe to do so.
• Deeper than most models
• Comes with 6 pounds of wax that can be used in other models too
• Lightweight and energy efficient
• Always Safe Temperature Range makes it safe to leave it on around the clock
• Comes with a safety grate
• Product is on the expensive end of the scale
• There have been several reports of the paraffin bath arriving damaged or having a short lifespan
3. Revlon Moisturestay Quick Heat Paraffin Bath
The Revlon paraffin bath is another one that is more on the affordable end of the price scale, and one of the reasons why it is so popular is because of its ability to heat up the wax quicker than most. Another big selling point of this paraffin bath is that it comes with variable temperature settings. While there are some people who like their wax to be on the scalding side, there are others who like things a little on the warm side.
It comes with 3 pounds of wax, 2 thermal mitts, and 30 glove liners. The unit is designed for both hands and feet, but if you are a size 10 or higher, you may have some problems getting your feet into this one. Since this unit warms up so quickly, you won’t have to leave it on around the clock, which is generally what is advised with other paraffin baths.
• Variable temperature controls give you more heat options
• Fast wax heating time compared to other units
• Affordable price point
• Comes with 3 pounds of wax and other accessories, making it a great value proposition
• Lightweight and easy to store away
• Not suitable for larger feet
• Some people may not like that this unit is not intended to be plugged in continuously and always ready to go
2. Conair True Glow Heated Paraffin Bath
If you are looking for a smaller, affordable unit, then the Conair paraffin bath may well be the one for you. It’s possible to find this one for less than $30, but with that price, you should keep your expectations in check. The capacity of the tub is not particularly large, and the 1 pound of a that it comes with is just about right for what it holds. The smaller size means that it may not be the best choice for those of you with larger feet or hands.
The time to melt the wax so that it is ready to use comes in at about 90 minutes, but you might want to add another 15 minutes to that time, as the wax can get very hot. Taking the lid off and letting it air out for a few minutes will make the temperature a little easier to handle. The design of the unit is nice, and its small size makes it easy to store away when not in use. It’s also very much on the lighter end of the scale at a little over 3 pounds. Perhaps not the best choice for those who want to use a paraffin bath on a regular basis, but a very good starter unit for those on a budget.
• Perhaps the most affordable unit on the market
• Heats up wax very quickly
• Lightweight and compact. Makes for easy storage
• Sleek design
• No temperature control
• Not suitable for larger feet or hands
1. Dr. Scholl’s Quick Heat Paraffin Spa Bath
Dr. Scholl’s have been known for making products that are great for your feet for as long as anyone can remember, so it makes sense that the Dr. Scholl’s paraffin bath would make this list. This unit is bigger than others in this price range, which makes it suitable for hands and feet of all shapes and sizes. It also comes with a variable temperature control setting, which allows you to get the wax to a heat that you find comfortable enough for your own personal tastes.
One of the major selling point so the Dr. Scholl’s paraffin bath is that it can be ready to go in as little as 60 minutes, which is quite a bit faster than some of the other units of the same size on the market. Given that heating time, this is one that you might not have to necessarily leave on around the clock. There have been a couple of issues reported with this unit, and we will address those in the pros and cons section below. Overall, though, this is a great paraffin bath for the price, and one delivered by a trusted brand.
• Great price for a brand name unit
• Variable temperature control
• Fast heat up time
• Large capacity unit that is good for a variety of hand and feet sizes
• Comes with 3 pounds of wax and other accessories
• There have been reports of this unit leaking
• There have also been reports of issues with the power, and the unit not turning off
- Paraffin bath for pain relief and removing dry skin
- The paraffin wax smoothens and softens skin on hands, elbows, and feet
- Dial with multiple heat settings provides a full range of heat comfort levels
As you can see, paraffin baths come in all kinds of different shapes, sizes and price points. There are a few things to consider before you buy. A smaller unit is fine for those of you with small hands and feet, but may not be suitable for you if you are a size 10 shoe or higher.
Do you want to control the temperature of the wax, and do you want a unit that can heat up quickly? If you want it to be ready to go at any time, you will want a paraffin bath that can be kept on around the clock. Consider what features are important to you, and then do a little comparison shopping.
Last update on 2018-02-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API