The neck and shoulders bear the brunt of the working day, patiently enduring as we hunch over our computer screens, scrunch ourselves into seats on public transit, and slump, world-weary and exhausted, at the end of the day.
And yet the neck and shoulders are also the focal point to conveying good posture and health.
When tension sets in, it’s not always going to be possible to dash off and get a professional massage. But it is easy and affordable to have a simple tool at home that will give you a quick yet effective neck and shoulder massage. Discreetly and without a lot of fuss, these neck and shoulder massagers are an ideal pick-me-up – to refresh and rejuvenate those tired muscles.
- Best Neck and Shoulder Massager Reviews 2017
- Why Massage?
- Isn’t It Just For Women?
- So, Can I Replace My Spa Visits?
Best Neck and Shoulder Massager Reviews 2017
|7||Gideon Portable Massager||$$||8|
|5||Neckteck Deep Kneading Massager||$||9|
|4||LiBa Shiatsu Massager||$$||9|
|3||Naturalico Shiatsu Massager||$$||9|
|2||Naipo Shoulder Massager||$||9|
|1||Five Star FS8801||$||9|
The Gideon Portable offers multi-directional deep tissue massage with its eight massage heads, together with optimal heat therapy for soothing warmth to repair damaged, strained muscles.
The Gideon is probably best-suited to women as it doesn’t work all that well for those with broad shoulders.
- RELIEVE STRESS, ACHES & TENSION - The Gideon Portable Shiatsu Massager with Therapeutic Heat penetrates deep into your muscles and tissues...
- HEAT THERAPY - Features an optional heat therapy, radiating gentle warmth, to help soothe and loosen tight muscles.
- MULTI-DIRECTIONAL - Features eight (8) multi-directional and deeply penetrating massaging nodes, mimicking the vigorous penetration of a...
All these awesome neck and shoulder massagers on our list come with a wall plug and a car charger. The Brookstone, however, is cordless which makes it more convenient and easier to use. It’s easier to relax when you don’t have cords attached to you limiting your body movement.
It also has heat and the auto timer is set for a long-ish 20 minutes. This helps you enjoy its 8 Shiatsu massage nodes to the max.
If you are petite and prefer a softer massage, then this would the perfect model for you. If you are bulky and have more mass, we’d recommend the next massagers on our list.
One downside is the price. It is significantly more expensive than other popular massagers. However, the Brookstone is a solid investment. You’ll be worrying less about your purchase suddenly shutting down or not working after a month or so.
- Deep-kneading Shiatsu massage nodes soothe aching muscles, relieve tightness, and help promote muscle recovery
- Rolling massage nodes travel the full length of your back-including onto your shoulders-stimulating muscles on both sides of the spine
- Vibration seat massage with 3 levels of intensity can be used independently or combined with other massage functions
The Neckteck massager is a teensy bit more expensive than the regular items on our list but it does come with 8 massaging heads, 2 massage directions, and three custom speed modes especially for users who want a custom deep tissue massage. As the name implies, the specialty of this massager is its deep-kneading action that you can use anywhere on your body.
It also has heat and a 10-minute auto shutoff mechanism. On the up side, this keeps you and your massager safe. On the down side, it will shut down 5 or 10 minutes earlier than other models and brands.
- 8 deep-kneading shiatsu massage heads that relax and relieve tense muscles
- Perfect for home, office, and car. It includes the 6 feet AC power adapter (UL Listed), ensuring maximum usage whether at home or in the...
- Built with a heating function to further massage fatigued muscles and reduce stress. Very safe to use. (can be turned off manually)
The LiBa massager boasts of being able to massage not just the neck and shoulders, but also the waist and back. It has 4 massage nodes and has bi-directional movement. It has heat and a 15 minute auto shutoff feature.
If you like your massage to be deep, then this is the massager for you as its nodes are deep-kneading and give a very deep tissue massage.
- Brand New in box. The product ships with all relevant accessories
Similar to the LiBa, the Naturalico has 4 massage nodes to help you relax your neck and shoulder muscles. You can have the rollers go in one direction or going back and forth between directions. It also comes with heat and an auto shut-off feature for safety purposes.
Buyers report using this for their lower back pains and achieving great results. Whether you have neck, back, or shoulder pain, you can relax on your couch with this baby and enjoy a warm and relaxing DIY spa at home.
It is not supposed to be used for lying down though and the rollers will stop if you attempt this and put your body weight on this massager. Also, if you are on the sensitive side, you might want to check out lighter massagers. A handful of users says the massage hurts while others say it is delicious as they prefer the deep massage.
- DEEP MUSCLE RELAXER - Add heat and intensity to hard-to-reach muscle groups for a relaxing massage that helps reduce tightness and improve...
- MULTIPLE MASSAGE NODES - We've created the ideal amount of kneading shiatsu pressure with four rotating nodes to cradle, support and relax...
- WARM, COMFORTING HEAT - The Naturalico heated back and neck shiatsu massager also offers a soothing heat that reaches deep into muscle...
This is a neck, back, and shoulder Shiatsu massager with 8 nodes to help relax and soothe your tired and aching muscles. It has heat function which warms your tight muscles and improves overall blood and lymph circulation.
This Naipo model is very easy to use. The hand straps give perfect control so that you can keep it over areas you need the massage. The motors are also heavy duty and it also has an auto shutoff feature. It is amazing value given its low price.
The only downside would be a few lemons that a handful of unlucky buyers received. Maybe this is why the distributor is offering refunds within 30 days of purchase and a 24-month warranty for quality issues.
- Adjustable intensity button providing 3 different speeds, from low,medium and high depending on your preference.
- Features 8 deep-kneading Shiatsu massage nodes to sooth tired, relieve muscle tightness.
- Built in advanced heat function transfers warmth to muscles, ligaments to improve the blood circulation. Automatic shut down in 20 minutes.
#1: Five Star FS8801
The FS8801 is a corded, bi-directional massager that offers eight roller heads for a professional neck and shoulder massage experience which can be extended across the whole body.
It is easy to use and comes with an in-car charger, so you can give yourself a soothing, rewarding once-over before you leave for work, or set off for the comfort of home after a demanding day.
However, the cord is quite short, which does mean you will need to be seated close to a power socket – not always an option, and the roller action isn’t particularly smooth, which you might find uncomfortable.
- NEW FIVE STAR FIVE S FS8801 Shiatsu kneading massager with heat.
- 8 kneading rollers. Soothing heat. One button to turn the heat on/off.
- 2 massage directions. One button to change the direction of rotation.
When done properly, either by a qualified professional or with a suitable quality massage device, massage serves a vital function of relieving tension, and helping to repair damage caused to muscles by the stresses and strains and constant, awkward positions of everyday work and life. Rather than simply a relaxing indulgence, massage, done properly, with the right tools, can be considered an important part of your regular wellness kit, ensuring that tired or damaged muscles don’t lead to poor posture, and the health and bone issues that this can lead to in later life.
Massage is also, of course, relaxing, and a good, quick, affordable way to help combat stress, which is a major threat to workplace productivity and personal well being. And, no less importantly, a massage, either with professional hands, or a device like the ones reviewed above, is a sensual and mutually rewarding bonding experience for couples, helping to rekindle those initial romantic feelings, without the need for words, expensive gestures, or special settings. Put a warm, thick, fluffy throw on the bed, light some scented candles, and bring out a neck and shoulder masssager – and let the sensual fun begin!
Isn’t It Just For Women?
Absolutely not – boxers and other high-performance athletes will almost certainly incorporate massage into their training routines, and, in terms of neck and shoulder massage, men are firstly more likely to be involved in jobs that focus on heavy lifting, and thus need their shoulders to be in peak condition, and, secondly, are more naturally driven to focus on presenting a strong, confident posture – which demands excellent neck and shoulder condition, as well as putting significant strain on those areas. A massage isn’t about admitting you’re weak – it is about taking the necessary care of your body so that you can be strong, and get the job done. Whatever the demands of your workload, whatever your gym routine, a massage, even a quick and simple neck and shoulder massage with a portable device, is definitely an effective, affordable, accessible add-on.
So, Can I Replace My Spa Visits?
If you do your research, and are prepared to invest in the most suitable neck and shoulder massager for you, and learn how to use it appropriately, then definitely – the key to a good massage is the technique, which can be learned by almost anyone. And, with the money you’ll save on those spa visits, you can treat yourself to something you’ve always wanted!
Last update on 2017-09-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API