Hello, fellow side sleeper! I know what you’re looking for and I know how your sleep at night must go. I know because I’ve been there. If you’re reading this article, you’re most likely a side sleeper, and a restless one at that who’s wishing for some better sleep quality.
Back sleepers get it easy compared to side sleepers. This is because for the latter, all of the body’s weight is pressing down on one side.
And while the pressure from one’s side can be alleviated by some manner of adjustment in position on your mattress, one’s knees and even arms pose an additional problem. Either your bony knees are bumping into each other and creating uncomfortable (and sometimes even painful) friction or you don’t know how to position your arms. This makes falling asleep difficult and frustrating.
If you sleep on your side and want a good night’s sleep that’s pain-free, have a look at our reviews for a range of pillows specially designed to take care of side-sleeping discomfort.
5 Best Pillows for Side Sleepers
Best Knee Pillow For Pain – Wonder Comfort
If you or your loved one has been suffering form lower back and hip pains from sciatia, arthritis, hip bursitis, pregnancy, or simple old age, then I highly recommend the Wonder Comfort knee pillow.
The first thing you notice when you use it is how soft the material is. It really helps because the knee pillow will be between your thighs and legs. It’s made from memory foam so it just goes back to its original shape after use – NEVER-FLAT the manufacturer calls it.
I initially didn’t like the strap as I hate being restricted (although it’s not tight all). However, it really helps keep the pillow in place throughout the night so you get used to it pretty fast.
- Works surprisingly well in relieving pain
- Great quality; great value for price
- Memory foam so it stays in shape
- The cover is super soft and comes off for washing
- Has a 100% no questions asked money-back guarantee
- Thicker than other knee pillows
Value For Money?
The price is super affordable and it works excellently in alleviating pain. Highly recommended with all thumbs up.
- Built with a proprietary new never-flat "no pancake" visco-elastic polyurethane foam formula
- Comes with secure sleeping strap to ensure perfect spinal & vertebrae alignment all night
- Engineered with fit & flex technology, the memory foam core can contour to all body types & sizes
Last update on 2020-08-08 at 13:21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API / More info
Best Premium Knee Pillow: ComfiLife
Out of our list, the ComfiLife is our priciest pillow. However, this does not stop people from buying this brand because of its excellent performance. A lot of people who have bought this pillow happily report that they’ve started sleeping well through the night. This is definitely a huge thing if you’ve been suffering from restless nights for months on end.
- Quality memory foam that won’t go flat
- Ergonomic design will keep your legs, hip and spin aligned
- The cover can be removed and cleaned in the washing machine
- High satisfaction rating
- Might not feel comfortable right away; there is an adjustment period for some buyers
- The zipper is too small making the cover a pain to remove
Value For Money?
This might be the most expensive item on this list but it’s well worth it for the results you’ll get.
- SCIATICA, BACK & HIP PAIN RELIEF AT NIGHT: Ergonomically designed knee pillow fits comfortably between your knees and provides maximum...
- PREMIUM HIGH-DENSITY MEMORY FOAM: Made with 100% premium quality durable cut memory foam to provide long lasting comfort for hours, superior...
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN: Ergonomic contoured design keeps your legs, hip and spine in ideal alignment while sleeping and improves circulation....
Last update on 2020-08-08 at 13:32 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API / More info
Best All Around: Natumax
All of the excellent knee pillows on here mostly do the same things — they help align your spine and body better during sleep, improve sleep quality, and help ease pain.
Where the Natumax differs slightly is how people are using this knee pillow. They’re not just using it to put between their knees. Some us it as a head pillow, and some use it for their feet during the times they lie on their backs.
- Good track record for pregnant women
- Comes in a beautiful royal blue color instead of the usual white
- Has freebies like ear plugs and an eye mask that actually help add to sleep time
- The cover is machine-washable
- The foam becomes very hard and compacted after some time especially if you are on the heavy side
Value For Money?
Amazing price when you consider all the good things that most people have to say about this small yet mighty pillow.
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN: The ergonomically designed memory foam pillow fits comfortably between your legs providing ideal alignment for your hips,...
- MULTI-POSITIONS: Can be placed in multiple position around the knee can improve blood circulation and prevent aches and pains. Perfect for...
- EASY TO WASH：Breathable zippered cover is machine washable for easy cleaning.
Last update on 2020-08-08 at 15:53 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API / More info
Best For Big Folks: Trademark Supplies Leg Positioner
Last but not least, we have the Trademark Supplies knee pillow. Apart from how well it works, it’s also the most affordable item on our list.
Just a little note though. People who are shorter or bigger have found this pillow to be more comfortable. This might have to do with the size of the pillow and how compacted it feels.
- Very affordable price compared to other brands and models
- Keeps its form even after months of use
- The cover is machine-washable
- It tends to shift during the course of the night
Value For Money?
For its price point, it’s definitely a good buy. At the very least, it’s a good introduction to memory foam knee pillows.
Last update on 2020-08-08 at 15:42 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API / More info
Best Armrest Pillow: Sleep Yoga BP-SY02
I’m really happy to be adding something other than a knee pillow. This one is designed for your upper body when you’re sleeping on your side.
Notice how, when you’re in this position, there is an empty cavity between your chest and the bed. If I’m not hugging a pillow, I end up slouching and sleeping in an awkward position. It’s not too great because I wake up with back or shoulder pain.
While normal pillows are okay, this chiropractor-designed product is contoured even better.
I had carpal tunnel in the past and the pain was so bad at one point, I had to wear an arm brace at night. I wish I had this then to keep my arm in place. Without this pillow, I tend to wedge an arm (wrist, to be specific) in between my legs and it’s a really bad habit. (Doc was very adamant I not do it.)
- Great for posture
- Especially ideal for carpal tunnel and arthritis sufferers or those who have just had shoulder surgery
- Made in the USA
- Some find it too big (but I personally wish it extended up to my knees) and you need more than a narrow bunk bed if you have this in bed with you
- Hard to put the case on
Value For Money?
This is quite pricey but I highly recommend.
- CREATED FOR SIDE-SLEEPERS - A thick and comfy cushion that allows you to rest your whole arm while sleeping on your side
- IMPROVES POSTURE - Naturally keeps shoulder joint alignment, as well as gently supporting the elbow, wrist and hand. This helps avoid...
- CHIROPRACTOR-DESIGNED - Carefully designed angles and contours to improve the way you sit, stand and, most importantly, feel – all while...
Last update on 2020-08-08 at 16:51 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API / More info
Knee Pillow Buying Guide
Support – When you sleep on your side, you’re looking for a pillow you can place securely between your knees to support your legs and hips in a natural, pain free position.
Comfort – Side sleepers want to keep their knees cushioned in softness, rather than rubbing together throughout the night and causing broken, restless sleep. This requirement is most imperative for people suffering from the following:
- knee arthritis
- spine misalignment
- bad backs
- hip bursitis
- recent surgeries
Cooling action – While you do want the comfort of a pillow between your knees providing cushioned support, you don’t want to get hot and sweaty because of it.
Some More Brilliant Suggestions
I’m going to throw this out there because the main problem with knee pillows is that you tend to lose them in your sleep whenever you switch sides or toss and turn. I had to laugh at the guy who said he would wake up in the morning to find it at the foot of the bed and his dog happily sleeping on it.
Speaking from experience, you can minimize tossing and turning with a simple trick — getting a mattress that supports your body weight so well that you’ll stay in one comfortable position for the rest of the night.
This might be a coil mattress for you or as in my case, a memory foam mattress.
And pillows! While you’re at it, get yourself a good tempurpedic pillow. Thanks to these babies, I’ve had a very significant reduction in my overall body aches.
What To Do When Your Memory Foam Smells Bad
So your memory foam smells bad. Don't give up on it yet! Read these tips and tricks to get rid of the nauseating chemical-y smell.
DIY Sleep Spray For Your Beds And Pillows
Are you having trouble sleeping? Do you wake up many times in the middle of the night? This DIY sleep spray may just be the thing for you.
7 Best Memory Foam Pillows for Side Sleepers
If you sleep on your side and have trouble sleeping at night, then what you need is the best memory foam pillow for side sleepers.
The Best Tempurpedic Pillows For Neck And Back Support (Reviews)
Tempurpedic pillows are the royalty of memory foam pillows. Discover the best Tempurpedic pillow and get maximum relief from pain and aches.
Are Memory Foam Pillows Good?
How to Clean Memory Foam Pillows (Plus 4 Things to Avoid)
Cleaning a memory foam pillow isn't as simple as cleaning a regular one. Find out how you can lightly clean or deep clean a memory foam pillow. It's a different process but surprisingly easy!